Monday, September 15, 2008

Kurt Huggins and Zelda Devon. Or, Never Enough Octopi!

I'm going to look like such a copycat but, I swear, I saw this Cleptopod drawing and was going to post about Kurt Huggins and Zelda Devon just a few days before they appeared on uber art site, Drawn. (Congrats, guys, for the well deserved exposure!)

A particularly fun aspect of my job has only become apparent in the latter half of my career thus far -- watching artists "turn on." I've enjoyed meeting Kurt and Zelda at various conventions and Society of Illustrators events for the past year or so. While there is a whole like to like about their earlier work, there is a clear and steady progression from good to even better.

Further congrats for their silver medal in Spectrum 15, due out November 1st.

Further reading: An iterview with Kurt and Zelda on What to Wear to an Orange Alert.

And one further note: Zelda has the only tattoo I've ever seriously envied.

8 comments:

ces said...

Who else won medals in Spectrum 15?

Irene Gallo said...

Full list of Spectrum 15 winners:
http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/full_content.php?article_id=728&full=yes&pbr=1

Lana Gramlich said...

I love both of those pieces.
As an artist, I have to say it's nice to be able to look back & see one's OWN progress.
This year someone purchased one of my paintings to have it tattooed on their leg. I was immensely flattered!

EricFortune said...

I must have told her a dozen times. "I. Love. Your. Tattoo!!!!!" Easily the best tattoo I've ever scene.

Irene Gallo said...

Lana - That IS a compliment!

I always thought it would be fun to start a collection of fantasy covers as tattoos. I know Brom, Whelan, Lockwood, Palencar, Van Der Hagen, Eggleton all have people walking aroudn with their art on their bodies.

Lana Gramlich said...

Irene; Yes! So much wonderful art, so little body space! *L*

Anonymous said...

Not octopi, ignorami!
Octopoda!
Dr George Nikolic, Canberra

Anonymous said...

Do you like playing the game where you need to use maple mesos, when you do not have
mesos, you must borrow
cheap mesos from friends, or you buy
maplestory mesos. If you get
maple story mesos, you can continue this game.