Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sandy Kossin

Illustration Art and Today's Inspiration have taken time to point out Sandy Kossin’s excellent work. Soooo, I thought I'd take the opportunity to brag about my latest acquisition. I saw this 1967 Argosy painting at the Society ages ago and it stuck in my mind. This year, it became my birthday/Christmas/Flag Day, etc. present. And the best part -- visiting Sandy and his wife and getting to spend hours poking around his studio and seeing the famous Life Magazine Bay of Pigs paintings on the walls. It was a great day. He spoke very passionately about painting. It was particularly touching to see Greg pull out tear-sheets that he had been saving since he was a kid that showed Sandy’s work. Go and read the articles linked above and enjoy.

8 comments:

Tony Shasteen said...

And here I was feeling all good about buying the Bay of Pigs Life Magazine. That's a great painting! It's definitely brag worthy. Did you happen to get any pictures of your time at the studio?

SFBC Matthew said...

Oooooooh! and Happy Birthday!

Nathan Fowkes said...

I envy your birthday/Christmas/Flag Day present. Kossin's illustrations for Readers Digest condensed books were a big part of what made me want to be an illustrator when I was a teen.

Thanks for the post.

Irene Gallo said...

Tony - I was such a putz. I had my camera the whole time but forgot to take it out. Hopefully there will be a next time.

Thank you, Mathew.

Nathan - I'm completely blown away by your blog!

Anyone here, run to:
http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

Kyle T. Webster said...

Holy smokes! I just ran out to Nathan's blog and I am so glad you called attention to it. Incredible! Nathan, you have gained a new fan.

And happy birthday, Irene. What a perfect gift.

kenmeyerjr said...

Found this while doing a search for Kossin on the net, after reading the brand new Illustration magazine with a great Kossin feature...Dan Zimmer can do no wrong! And, man, is Kossin's work full of life! This is the kind of work I want to do. I know I have seen Kossin's work in the past, but was only now reminded of it. I don't think there is a book devoted solely to Kossin...but if I find it, it's mine!

Irene Gallo said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'l run out and get a copy ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Do you like playing the game where you need to use maple mesos, when you do not have mesos, you must borrow cheap mesos from friends, or you buy maplestory mesos. If you get maple story mesos, you can continue this game.