Thursday, December 13, 2007

David Bowers

David Bowers sent me a copy of his book, David M. Bowers: Evolution of an Artist, and, holy cow, is it beautiful. (And I'm not just saying that because he had a nice word to say about me in the intro. Thanks, David!) His work is a fascinating amalgamation of renaissance, contemporary, surreal sensibilities.

David has done a number of my favorite Tor covers. I always loved working with him -- besides being a total sweetheart, his dedication to the pure act of painting is clear in every picture. He has focused on his gallery career the past few years career and seeing this body of work collected in one place is very impressive.

The production values of the book, itself, are in line with his own impeccable craftsmanship -- incredible printing, sturdy pages, beautiful die-cut jacket, and all the paintings are presented with lots of clean white space around them. Between the art and the presentation, no one can step into my office without picking it up and a “Wow!”

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

That looks like a wonderful, high quality book. I always enjoy it when art books have some written material to go along with the pictures. David Bowers is one of the artists whose work I look forward to seeing in Spectrum every year. His are works that you can look at time and time again and see different interesting and amazing detail. They are like I SPY pictures for adults!

Lana Gramlich said...

I'll have to see if we have this in our library system. If not, I'll make sure we order it. We have lots of patrons that would be interested.