Me to Adam Rex: "Today at lunch I slipped on a banana peal. Swear to god."
Adam Rex to me: "What a coincidence. I took a pie in the face yesterday. Fortunately that guy with the seltzer happened by."
(Except in my case, it really did happen, I really did slip on a banana peal. Had I my camera with me, you'd all be looking at one brown and squishied up piece of banana road kill.)
But the point is....This weekend is Book Expo America. and I am very much looking forward to saying "hi" to Adam and seeing him tout his first novel, The True Meaning of Smekday.
BEA is fun for me. For some reason Tor gives me a ticket and yet I have no official dealings while I am there. So, I get to run around, hang out with people, and look at lots of cool books.
Besides Adam, other BEA events I’m looking forward to:
- Going out to dinner with Arnie Fenner, co-creator and editor of Spectrum
- Catching up with awesome designer Howard Grossman of 12E Design.
- Listening to Brian Slattery, author of my favorite Tor book, Spaceman Blues, speak on the “NYC Visions: Fresh Authors and Portrayals.” panel. (Unfortunately it overlaps with a bunch of our editors speaking on the “Changing Face of SF” panel. I may have to bring my running shoes.)
- Visiting Lou Anders of Pyr.
- Checking out the Mark Murphy Design booth. (I hear they have some new Jeff Soto stuff coming out this summer.)